Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Day at Aloha Tex Fest

Aloha everyone!

A couple of weekends ago, the Aloha Tex Fest came to town in Houston, Texas.  I attended, but didn't get a chance to post anything until now.  I took a lot of pictures, and hope you enjoy!

The first thing that I noticed as we were walking into the pavilion was the number of Hawaiian stickers on many many of the cars there.  Everyone was showing their Hawaiian pride, from their car decorations to the aloha shirts, muumuu, and lei.  Very cool!


Of course, the first thing that we had to do was get some of that Hawaiian food that we get to have on our rare occasion.  Onolicious!  (Yeah...I think I just made that up!)  They had the typical Hawaiian fare.  We got the kalua pork, laulau (my all-time favorite), and the huli huli chicken.  (The pork and laulau are pictured below).



While we were eating our Hawaiian food, we got to watch some really good hula performers while it gently rained outside the pavilion.  (Hmmm....sounds like Hilo!)  The hula halau came from all over Texas and beyond!  It was great to see such a good turnout!




Since we came with the kids, we did have to take a break from the hula watching and the ono grinds...Yeah, 3-year-olds get cranky without their nap! Ha!  ...but we made certain to come back with a couple of hours to spare before the event ended.  Once night began to fall, the sound of the conch shell echoed in the air.  Then it was time for what my kids would call their favorite part of the evening: the fire dancing!

They did a really good job....and I always wonder how in the world do they keep from hurting themselves!  ...and to think that I considered doing this for my wife at our wedding.  If I had, I'm sure that our memorable wedding would have been even more memorable....not only a bride with laryngitis, but a groom with his hair burned off!  Ha ha!....Oh, the stories that we would have to tell the kids! :)



Well, that's it!  Not a whole lot of writing this time, but a whole bunch of pictures.  I hope you enjoyed them.    Also, if you happened to be at the event and are interested in some more pictures, just ask...I was very selective in the ones I decided to post here.

A hui hou,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment